This recipe is super simple to make and utilizes ingredients that are already around the house (accept the pastry sheets)! My son is 19 months old right now and he was able to participate in this activity with me.
- Puff Pastry sheets (can be found in frozen food section of grocery store)
- Applesauce baby food (or any other flavor will do)
- Flour (small amount)
- 1 egg
- Let the puff pastry sheets thaw for about 40 minutes (instructions may vary on brand, check with your package)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- When you open the sheets make sure you lay them on lightly floured surface. This will keep it from sticking to your fingers and the whatever surface it’s on
- Use a pizza cutter or knife and cut them into 3 big pieces per sheet or 6 little pieces per sheet.
- Make the egg wash by combining the egg and water. The ratio should be 1:1.
- Put apple sauce in the middle of each piece or on half of one.
- I folded mine twice – if you placed the apple sauce in the middle, take the sides and fold them into the middle. If you placed the apple sauce on half of one, just fold it over once.
- Use a fork and seal the edges
- Apply egg wash to the top of the pastries and sprinkle some sugar on top
- Transfer the puff pastries to a baking sheet which should be coated with butter
- Place into oven for about 15-20 minutes. The puff pastries are done when the top starts to brown lightly
- I didn’t have a real pizza cutter so I used a plastic play dough cutter which worked just as well! Make sure you wash it well before and after use
- Try substituting apple sauce with other ingredients. I haven’t tried peanut butter yet but the idea of it sounds delicious
- Let us know how your puff pastries turned out or if you have an idea to share with us please do